Examination of Conscience. Restore your relationship with your Father in Heaven.
Confession is your chance to ask God for forgiveness and receive His mercy. Before you enter the confessional, take a few moments to gather your thoughts and think about what you may have done to hurt others and what you can do better as a Christian. A sincere Confession is a chance to renew your soul and open yourself to the Grace of God. The following questions are to help you reflect upon what you need mercy for.
- Have I rejected or neglected my faith? Have I refused to defend it or been embarrassed by it?
- Is there any aspect of my faith I do not accept?
- Have I taken the Lord’s name in vain?
- Have I experimented with the occult or Santeria?
- Have I missed Mass on Sundays or Holy Days of Obligation?
- Have I been impatient, angry, or jealous?
- Have I fostered resentments or been unwilling to forgive?
- Have I been verbally or physically violent with others?
- Have I taken part in, or encouraged an abortion, the destruction of embryos, or suicide?
- Have I been hateful or gossiped about others?
- Have I consumed alcohol excessively or taken drugs?
- Have I looked at pornography?
- Have I been impure with others or myself?
- Am I living with someone as though I’m married?
- If I am married, do I put my spouse first? My children? Am I welcoming to new life?
- Do I let my work occupy all my time?
- Have I neglected the poor? Have I been proud or selfish? Do I spend money on luxury instead of others and the Church?
- Have I told lies? Have I been honest? Have I stolen or cheated?
- Have I been lazy? Do I try to bring others to God?